[ExI] Daniel Dennett on AI and evolution

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 16:50:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Adam A. Ford <tech101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "...The trickle-down theorists are sure in their bones that no
> amount of further building will ever get us to the real thing. They think
> that a Cartesian res cogitans, a thinking thing, cannot be constructed out
> of Turing's building blocks. And creationists are similarly sure in their
> bones that no amount of Darwinian shuffling and copying and selecting could
> ever arrive at (real) living things. They are wrong, but one can appreciate
> the discomfort that motivates their conviction."

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division (just because one
creationism is wrong doesn't mean all theories of complexity are true)

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion (that people are
uncomfortable neither proves nor disproves the topic at hand)

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity (in reverse: stating
that just because something is difficult to grasp, it is true)

Whether or not I think AI is possible, that many logical fallacies that
close together spoils the read for me.