[ExI] Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 13:00:19 UTC 2012

On 19 June 2012 16:50, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a libertarian idea for you... how about the government gets the
> hell out of legislating anything with regards to human relationships
> altogether? How about I'm against same sex marriage, opposite sex
> marriage, marriage to toasters, marriages to animals, or any marriage
> whatsoever. Wouldn't that be consistent with a libertarian approach?

One wonders in fact why "marriage" should be recognised ad generating legal
effects in the first place.

It is certainly not a matter of "freedom" when exactly the same goals can
be achieved, with much fewer intrusive nanny-state regulations, through
contracts, wills, joint-property regimes, trusts, etc.

So, advocacy for gay marriage sounds to me pretty similar to the
hypothetical one objecting to "discriminatory" rules preventing Geminis or
vegerarians to sell themselves into slavery, and I am used to say that I am
in favour only inasmuch as its advocates are also in favour of poligamic,
poliandric, group-, interspecific, time-limited, incestuous, chaste and
with-oneself marriages as well.

--
Stefano Vaj