[ExI] Paper on costly errors in the scientific research and publication process

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:19:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> I am sure more than one scientific career has gone down in flames trying to replicate a
> false positive reported in a prestigious journal. The life-sciences and social sciences really
> need to fix this problem or religious people will feel justified in disbelieving science.
> Since religious people vote, that of course means less funding for science which makes it
> even more competitive and prone to fraud. It's like a nasty chain reaction that's turning the
> well into poison.

Ben Goldacre reviews the situation.
<https://bengoldacre.posterous.com/problems-with-statistics-in-psychology-and-ne>

Problems with statistics in psychology and neuroscience research   26 June 2012

Here is a news story about a psychology researcher who has been caught
out manipulating his data.

<http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/06/rotterdam-marketing-psychologist.html>

There is one very interesting aspect to this case: the researcher
regarded the dodgy manipulations he used as completely standard
practice.