[ExI] AI milestones

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Thu Mar 1 03:09:06 UTC 2012

On 03/01/12 05:40, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> I have been asked to make a list of milestones in AI development. This
> is my current list, what have I missed? And what *actually* matters?
> Academic papers easily overstate their importance or rig demos, actual
> use is often hidden inside industry (few papers or reports), and
> impressiveness might correlate very loosely with real importance.

[snipped]

That looks like an excellent list.

Things that I would probably add:

Should Shakey be part of it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey_the_robot

The 80s look surprisingly bare too.  The neural network renaissance
should have produced something interesting, but I can't think of
anything at the moment.

Anything on automated music composition maybe? (David Cope's work for
example: people couldn't tell work from a composer from the work done in
the style of the composer by the program)

Siri as first popular program which people think of as (vaguely) AI?

The gradual automatisation of post sorting?