[ExI] Character Recognition (was Re: AI milestones)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:39:32 UTC 2012

On 6 March 2012 21:04, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> This might have been using Markov chains.. a really primitive kind of
> limited context. When I say primitive, I mean simple to implement, not
> ineffective. Any kind of context is absolutely critical to getting
> good rates of character recognition and Markov chains is a good way to
> easily put in a little context.

Yes. This is still the case with computer dictation AFAIK.

> To see how this works, consider that in English, the letter Q is
> nearly always followed by the letter U.

The only exception, as for other matters, being Al Qaeda... :-)

> We humans are very good at text recognition because of the context. If
> you present humans with the text out of context, they do little better
> than computers with no context. Give humans the context, and they are
> much better than humans.

I also understand that in spoken language we actually hear no more than 20%
of uttered phonemes in mormal circumstances. This is of course is even more
of a disaster for languages that have a lot of omophones (say, Japanese).
Yet, we manage to put everything in context.

--
Stefano Vaj