[ExI] Alternate to shrinking people

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:40:30 UTC 2012

Reading through the study...

Page 15, table 2.2.  Restated on page 18, table 2.3.
DRM 1-A and 1-C are 40 kg payloads; 1-B is 80 kg.

Even ignoring the launch vehicle costs, the recurring
per-launch ground operations costs come to $666,666.67,
$916,666.67, and $791,666.67 respectively.  Per kg, that's
about $17K, $11K, and $20K, respectively.

That is way more than $100/kg - and again, that's ignoring
the launch vehicle costs, though those are on the order
of$1K/kg (and thus need to be addressed to get under
$100/kg).

What kinds of cost savings are you anticipating, that the
NASA study does not reflect?  Granted, simply not using
the traditional overengineer-because-cost-is-no-object
approach could be a huge part of that.