[ExI] Atlantic article on human reengineering with very strong reactions

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 14 19:40:27 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

>>... Recall the specification for the original Volkwagen only needed to
> peak at 100 kph.  If we can tolerate that one specification today, there
are

>...There's no problem with 130 km/h cruise if you have a spike cache...

Ja, top speed is expensive from an engineering point of view.  The power
requirement scales as the cube of the top speed capability, and the weight
of the engine and drive train scales approximately linearly with the peak
power.  We can imagine high end cars with that 130 kph but not long term
cruise.  I am envisioning an occasional use second car which isn't
particularly capable and doesn't need to be anything but low cost.

>... we might get our 10 kEUR EVs yet...

I think so, possibly even below 10KEUR if we do it right.

>...Probably progress in robotics can automate composite lamination...They
did reduce the carbon monocoque costs down to 5 kEUR starting from initial
35 kEUR in 2002, and production takes only 1 hour, no longer requring
thermal curing...

Ja, but carbon fiber is probably overkill for what I have in mind.  If we
keep that peak speed down, a good option is injection molded polycarbonate,
such as you have in a motorcycle fairing: it's cheap, light, durable, easily
replaceable, easily modifiable, easily repairable, etc, many advantages.
But it will not hold up to 200 kph windspeeds in the form I have in mind.
If we go to typical modern IC vehicle speeds, our cost and weight are back
up to where they are now for all the same reasons.