[ExI] h+ in smithsonian

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 23:09:52 UTC 2012

2012/3/18 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/How-to-Become-the-Engineers-of-Our-Own-Evolution.html?utm_source=smithsonianfuturism&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201203-futurism

>From the article:

"...Transhumanists say we are morally obligated to help the human race
transcend its biological limits..."

How many agree with this?  The moral obligation part.  Feels a bit
evangelical to me, a bit pushy, a bit intrusive, but that's just me.
No doubt there's a range of views re the obligatory nature of helping
others or ***ALL*** humanity to transcend.

I'm perfectly happy to let the rest of humanity choose for themselves
whether to enhance or not.  Actually, as a personal freedom issue, I
support those who choose to live "natural", age naturally, and die
naturally, to do so.  Call me selfish, but I'd prefer that these
traditionalists age gracefully and die peacefully, and in doing so,
lighten the Luddite load.

Other opinions?

Best Jeff Davis

        "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                               Ray Charles