[ExI] h+ in smithsonian

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Mar 18 23:59:21 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Davis
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:10 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] h+ in smithsonian

2012/3/18 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/How-to-Become-the-Enginee
> rs-of-Our-Own-Evolution.html?utm_source=smithsonianfuturism&utm_medium
> =email&utm_campaign=201203-futurism

>From the article:

>"...Transhumanists say we are morally obligated to help the human race
transcend its biological limits..." Best Jeff Davis

I know of no transhumanists who say we are morally obligated to help the
human race transcend its biological limits.

We are morally obligated to stay out of the way of those who want to do
that, and can.  We are morally obligated to stay out of the way of those who
choose to not transcend.  If a singularity somehow doesn't share these open
minded views, I don't see there is much we can do about it.

There is a good movie from the mid 80s called Cocoon, two movies actually,
both good.  It tells a story partially analogous to this question.  The
aging cocoon discoverers have a choice of eternal youth and vigor.  Most
choose it, some reject, but the assumption is that there is no coercion to
go either way.  Good stories both.

Check it out, your local library probably has both.