[ExI] Right to medical information

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:01:25 UTC 2012

On 18 March 2012 23:46, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> An ob/gyn who cares not for the mother's
> health so long as the baby is delivered, is an ob/gyn whose
> customers die more often.

Theoretically, there might be physicians who could have the opposite
interest.

For instance, let us say one who does abortions but not deliveries, or one
who runs a goodwill risk as to the accuracy of his prenatal diagnoses if a
defective child is brought to termin, but does not really face adverse
consequences if the aborted child ends up being perfectly healthy.

Best way to deal with that? I tell my partners and associates "we offer
advice, not recommendations". Advice is: your chances are x%, your possible
rewards/costs are within this range. Recommendations are: you should/should
not go for it.

An entirely different issue is whether somebody who is paid to provide you
with the means to take an informed decision should be allowed to mislead
you or keep the information for themselves. This is of course abhorrent in
logical, legal and ethical terms.

--
Stefano Vaj