[ExI] The NSA's new data center

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sat Mar 24 14:54:07 UTC 2012

Anders wrote:

>I did a little calculation: at what point can governments spy 24/7
>on their citizens and store all the data?
>
>I used the World Bank World Development Indicators and IMF
>predictors for future GDP growth and the United nations median
>population forecasts, the fit 10.^(-.2502*(t-1980)+6.304) for the
>cost (in dollars)per gigabyte (found on various pages about Kryder's
>law) and the assumption that 24/7 video surveillance would require
>10 TB per person per year.

Your analysis is on governments, but surveillance can also be by business
or individuals. And given your figure of 10 TB/person/year, it's
trivial already
to afford to store a Steve Mann-style video record of your entire life. (Some
will want this for their professional lives, or it may become a requirement
to be insured in a litigious profession.)

Or for a business to have an indefinite security camera archive of all
employees all day throughout all work spaces.

Or for a government to have a complete video record of a criminal's
incarceration. That is to say, to put an end to prison rape and other
extrajudicial consequences of prison.

-- David.