[ExI] Will robot cars be TOO good?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:01:37 UTC 2012

Robot Car Intersections Are Terrifyingly Efficient
<http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/robot-car-intersections-are-terrifyingly-efficient>

Quote:
Last time we put our life in the hands of a robot car, it managed to
park itself without crashing or abducting us. Robot cars also know how
to drive like maniacs, and even how to powerslide. These are all very
neat tricks -- tricks that might save your life one day. But what's
going to happen when all cars are this talented? Efficiency. Scary,
scary efficiency.

It's not just the sensor-driven skills that will soon be common to
individual cars that will shape the future of automotive
transportation, but also the ability for cars to communicate with each
other, sharing constant updates about exactly where they are and where
they're going. And with enough detailed information being shared at a
fast enough pace between all vehicles on the road, things like traffic
lights become completely redundant:
Watch video demo.

Robot cars may have to have the windows blacked out to stop the
passengers screaming for them to 'SLOW DOWN!'.

BillK