[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 25 09:05:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 08:28:05PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> However, video cameras and storage follow Moore's Law, and eventually
> it will be so cheap that nobody can justify not doing it on a
> financial basis.

So you'll get seamless coverage of the back room deals in Washington?
I'm sure only Moore prevents us from being there. I'm sure the board
meetings won't mind a few perching quadcopters in there, either.
Transparency is good, after all.

> This new data center is less than ten miles from my house. I had heard
> only the lightest whispers of such a thing going in. There are a lot
> of construction activities in the area right now, so it's not hard to
> believe that it got lost in the noise.

I wonder why they let Bamford get away with it year after year.
I understand he has some fans in the agency, and since he's not
getting any info on the really juicy stuff keeping the agency
in the press makes sense. It's hard to justify your budget if
you're not there.