[ExI] Will robot cars be TOO good?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Mar 25 18:37:49 UTC 2012

<http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/robot-c
ar-intersections-are-terrifyingly-efficient>  ... --------------

>>...Robot cars may have to have the windows blacked out to stop the
passengers screaming for them to 'SLOW DOWN!'.  BillK

>...BillK this is another one of those mixtures of dream and nightmare...
that sounds like a thrilling scary fun roller coaster ride to get into
computer driven cars and tear through a crowded city, but I want others to
demonstrate it before I get in.  {8^D  spike

To make this work in the densest part of the city, we would need to move all
pedestrian and bicycle traffic above the street level.  The cars would need
to communicate speed and direction information to each other, and receive
commands from a street-based control system.  Anything without such
instrumentation could not be allowed.  This would be so cool, a controls
engineer's playground to choreograph this beautifully terrifying
internal-combustion driven ballet of hurtling steel and glass.