[ExI] Will robot cars be TOO good?

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:45:10 UTC 2012

On 26 March 2012 04:43, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Imagine resurrecting a person from the horse and buggy days, and taking her
> down any modern freeway at freeway speeds.  She would be terrified.  My own
> grandmother-in-law from Idaho used to freak out in ordinary San Jose freeway
> traffic as late as the 1990s, from the speed and closeness of the cars.

When my grandmother was in hospital dying from a stroke, my
grandfather decided to stay home one day - we were going in every day
for weeks - I think it was just wearing him down -  and Mum rang about
lunchtime to say 'get in now'

So I packed him in the car and drove in to the hospital as fast as I can.

I'm an extremely good high-speed driver. He has never driven a car, ever.

Eventually I had to slow down as I realised I was about to give him a
heart attack.

I can just see *me* feeling like that one day, with some
super-efficient robot piloting my personal commuter jet.  Errr, car.

Dwayne
--
  ddraig at pobox.com irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...