[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:16:44 UTC 2012

2012/3/28 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> But in the meantime, the regulations in place are pretty useful to limit
> transparency, blackmail people, indict whistle-blowers, try and control the
> circulation of information, etc.

In the LONG term, isn't absolute complete transparency of everyone and
everything the only real answer? The trend seems to be away from
personal privacy, away from government secrecy, towards open sharing.
Is this trend something that can be stopped? Is it something that
SHOULD be stopped? When individuals obtain the requisite technology to
wipe out all intelligent life, is privacy sustainable?

Asking it a different way. If everyone in the world had a button, that
if pushed would end the world, how long would the world last? Knowing
that the answer is "seconds, if that long"... and knowing that
individuals will likely obtain such technology some day in the not too
distant future... Could privacy survive in such a world? Should
privacy be allowed to survive in such a world?

My motto, "Privacy is dead, get over it."

If DCFS would install and monitor cameras in every room of my house, I
would let them. Why? Because it would protect me from their wild
imaginations! I'd rather let them in on all my so called "secrets"
than have them assume that I have secrets that I don't possess in
actuality. That's because they have absolute power over everything I
really care about, my family. I might request that I have my own
little private space for bathing and personal time... but eventually,
I think I could get over even that. Look at how quickly people on
reality TV get used to the cameras and just get on with their lives.
We'll ALL be reality TV stars in the future is my prediction.

In no way would I give up rights, but I don't see privacy as an
absolute right. Then maybe we'll get over this idea that we're not
just smart bipedal apes, but rather somehow special.

-Kelly