[ExI] The NSA's new data center

J.R. Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:43:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:03:18PM -0400, J.R. Jones wrote:
>
> > Or, that we need to mature as a species, and learn to accept all
> multitudes
> > of differences in perspective and expectations we all have from one
> > another. With transparency, I think, would come a new found respect
> and/or
>
> I think total transparency is the most naive horse pucky (RIP, Robert)
> I've heard in a longest while.

Oh, I see some extreme difficulties with it myself.  Instead then, how
about transparency that increases/decreases alongside power/influence?

> > understanding of what it means to be an individual.  Certainly, as time
> > progressed we'd become similar in many ways.  But my hope is that these
> > changes towards a more similar society, would be guided by some of the
> > brightest minds humanity has to offer.
>
> That has a tendency to become pretty ugly, in the retrospect, in history
> books.

I think this ties in with my above statement.  Did these events in history
books happen despite transparency?  My guess is that many
details/actors/variables were kept hidden/non-existent to those outside.

> > I can deal with bad news.  Even horrible news.  What I can't deal with,
> by
> > definition, is news I'm not even aware of.  Bring on the
> > transparency/accountability.  Let's start being 'real'.
>
> In practice, all people are real.

True.  Less manipulative perhaps then?  Genuine?

> Only some are realer than the others.
>
> And that kills it. Only the dumbest livestock picks their own location and
> method of slaughter.

Or control freaks?