[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:39:46 UTC 2012

2012/3/28 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> My motto, "Privacy is dead, get over it."
>>

> It's not dead yet. And we may well be better off without it, but the
> process of getting there is going to be painful, and not just to those
> whose place a high value on their own privacy.

That's for sure. But in most places, most of the times, humans - rulers
included - have not enjoyed any anonimity and privacy to speak of, unless
on a very exceptional basis and with incredible efforts. So, technology is
simply bringing us back to a kind of social relationships where secrets are
very hard to keep, if they exist at all.

Now, once more, the important things is not be under any delusion in this
respect - somebody who confides to Facebook things he does not want his
prospective employer to know is really dumb, given that even in a best case
scenario they can be social-engineered out of his account in two New York
minutes by anybody interested enough -, be aware of being constantly in
public even though we are not actually seeing one another sitting in the
same cave around the same fireplace, and fight the kind of information
asymmetries where governments are allowed to do things that would put you
in jail for good.

--
Stefano Vaj