[ExI] The NSA's new data center

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:34:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> Tor middleman is fine. I would not run an exit on a residential
> broadband unless you want to talk to les flics. I run a partial
> exit (policy below) on broadband which so far has given me zero
> abuse complaints.
>
> reject 0.0.0.0/8:*
> reject 169.254.0.0/16:*
> reject 127.0.0.0/8:*
> reject 192.168.0.0/16:*
> reject 10.0.0.0/8:*
> reject 172.16.0.0/12:*
> reject 78.46.119.2:*
> accept *:22
> accept *:443
> accept *:465
> accept *:563
> accept *:992-995
> reject *:*

In the past I have found using TOR noticeably slowed my browsing, so
restricted my use to very important browsing only. i.e. never.  :)

For Windows there are various Anonymiser packages available, some
free, some ad-supported, some pay-for which use a VPN link to hide
your IP address without much slowdown. Obviously the pay-for ones
claim to be faster.

They do work and disguise you from web sites that you visit. BUT it
means you have to trust the provider not to be copying everything you
do on behalf of the FBI. This shouldn't be a problem if you only wish
to hide from visited web sites that might track you via your IP
address.

In addition to all the tons of security stuff I already run, I have
recently installed the free version of Hotspot Shield which so far
seems to do the job fine.
<http://www.anchorfree.com/index.php>
Note: If you try it, make sure you untick the free toolbar, etc. that
it offers to install.

BillK