[ExI] wastefulness, was: RE: shelf life of drugs

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 29 16:33:04 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] wastefulness, was: RE: shelf life of drugs

Spike wrote:

>>...My point is for most purposes, we could have second cars, simple,
>light, short range cheap devices, where one cylinder the size of each
>of the 8 in Mister Lincoln would suffice.  Of course they won't be as
>fun to drive, not as comfortable, not as safe, not nearly as fast.

>...I drive an SUV with an excellent array of 4x4 settings. I live in snowy
New Hampshire. I drive through a foot of unplowed snow, visit a friend down
two miles of muddy road, spot a garage sale and buy furniture, drive down a
road that is nothing but potholes, etc. -- David.

Ja point well taken, and note that I am not advocating giving up our beloved
V8s.  The lightweights I am suggesting do not do any of the things you
mentioned: they don't go off-road, they don't even handle rough potholed
paved roads, they don't do bad weather, not even just blustery winds.  They
are more analogous to motorcycles, fair weather friends, only slower and
more dangerous.

Try to imagine driving this rig down a potholed road:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1530331492001/engineers-develop-car-that-gets-300
0-mpg/

Not.

In order to use something like this anywhere, we would need a super smooth
surface and a physical separation from guys going way faster in Mister
Lincoln with the stereo blasting Carpenters songs, as yahoos are known to
do, such as... me.  But there are plenty of fair weather days when it could
be used.

My point is that our legal system charges taxes and license fees per
vehicle, as opposed to a more reasonable approach, charge per driver.
Regardless of how many ape haulers we own, we can only drive one at a time.
So have two.  Or more.  Keep that good old 4x4 for when you need it to visit
your buddy down the dirt road, have a second light single seat car which you
use when conditions allow.  Pay only once for both.