[ExI] The silent PV revolution

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 29 18:30:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:13:38PM +0200, Alfio Puglisi wrote:
> During the last few days, I have realized that something very interesting
> is going to happen on electricity markets this summer: there is a
> non-negligible chance that a major country is going to have so much
> production from solar photovoltaics that it will have to *export*
> a sizable fraction of it.

This happens quite regularly in Germany, where soon 1/3rd of peak
demand will be covered by PV. You might have noticed that the nuclear
France imported german renewable, including solar energy this winter.
Too much electric heating. The same happens during summer, when
reactors are shut down because they'd otherwise overheat the
rivers.

So, yes, local and net exports can and do happen.

See http://www.renewablesinternational.net/the-afternoon-dip/150/537/33320/
and http://www.transparency.eex.com/en/Statutory%20Publication%20Requirements%20of%20the%20Transmission%20System%20Operators/Power%20generation/Actual%20solar%20power%20generation

Soon, you'll have "problems" like http://www.renewablesinternational.net/yes-we-have-no-base-load/150/523/29353/

> Traditional energy giants are lobbying like hell the government to regulate
> the market back into something more manageable (for them), but I think it's
> too late. Gas-burning plants, designed to spin up during demand spikes,
> are already  being priced out.

Grid parity is only a couple years away, especially in Mezzogiorno.

> Is there anyone out there closely following the same developments, or it's
> just me having unhealthy interests? :-)

No, it's not just you.

In fact as the prices have now fallen sufficiently I intend to start with
experimental setups (some ~600 Wp insular) of my own this year.