[ExI] The silent PV revolution

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:48:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> No need to autlaw trucks.  Divide the existing high-speed roads to
> physically separate lightweights from the existing fleet.

That's not going to be cheap... It's not a showstopper, but it'll require
leadership and commitment that aren't in sight. Fer Pete's sake, we can't
even stop producing currency at a loss!

Dave me lad, there are PLENTY of technologies for lightweights that have
> patents long since expired.  There is nothing all that new in any of these
> ideas.  Back in the 70s during the Middle East oil embargo, hobbyists
> played these kinds of games, did everything that is being done today.  We
> had competitions, the 2000 mpg “cars” way back then.  They don’t require
> carbon composite tech really.  Good old poly-plastics will do at very low
> penalty.  They don’t require anything we didn’t already have 40 yrs ago.  I
> know of exactly NOTHING invented in the last 20 yrs that would be necessary
> for a great lightweight ape hauler, not one thing.  We had everything we
> need, way back in my own misspent youth.

Hobbyists can get away with patent infringement. Nobody cares. But once you
start selling a product, IP sharks take notice. And while it might be
*possible* to avoid all existing patents, it's extremely difficult to know
what patents you might be infringing.

-Dave