[ExI] Milky Way escape velocity

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 1 14:17:38 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:48 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Milky Way escape velocity

On 30 April 2012 22:49, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

We recently mentioned the velocity required to escape the Milky Way
galaxy - over 1 million miles per hour.

Million? miles?! hour? I could do the math, but while it sounds much, I do
not have from the top of my head the vaguest idea of the fraction of c we
are discussing here... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj

BOTECs in round numbers that I can recall, the distance from the sun to the
center of the Milky Way is about 27,000 years, and the orbit period is about
250 million years, so the orbit speed is about 0.1 milli-c, and escape
velocity from any round orbit is square root 2 times the tangential velocity
so escape velocity from here would be about 140 micro-c, and a micro-c is
about .3 km/sec so escape is about 40 km/sec.