[ExI] Milky Way escape velocity

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 18:50:15 UTC 2012

> Doh!  Forgot to multiply by 2 pi.  So the tangential velocity out here is more like
> 600 micro-c or about 200 km/sec and escape velocity is more like 300 km/sec.
> That sounds more like it.  that 40 km/sec scared me: we might wander close
> enough to something massive and get kicked off the star island.

Using conventional techniques and not venturing anywhere near the center of the galaxy, I bet one can do some fly-bys to reach galactic escape velocity. Heck, using unconventional techniques, such as nuclear pulse propulsion, the thinking it one can reach 10 PSOL, so it shouldn't be that hard. Or one might just find a rogue star or planet and try to get captured by it. :)

Regards,

Dan