[ExI] self driving cars

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 16 08:18:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> As the people on the RISKS mailing list gleefully pointed out, it also
> likely means some serious issues of outsiders messing with traffic systems.
> If the security of the cars is not much better than typical software
> security we are going to see some very nasty "accidents".
>
> "Today AQNA took responsibility for the malware outbreak that has made cars
> heavier than one tonne in the WayNet system accelerate uncontrollably. So
> far 5,463 people have been killed worldwide. This is the most lethal case of
> traffic hacking since the Anonymous anti-MPAA hack in Los Angeles 2023,
> which killed 231..."

I doubt if this will happen more than once (if ever).  The TSA,
police, FBI, etc. would actually get serious about computer crime.
Anonymous is treated just as a bit of a nuisance at present. But if
people start being killed then Anonymous members will be killed in
retaliation. Anonymous will be treated the same as terrorists. Goon
squads will kick doors in at 4 am and shoot at any sign of resistance.
Drones will blow up property where Anonymous is traced to. (Sorry
about the collateral damage, but it was necessary to destroy the
village in order to save it).

Yes, there will be less freedom and more authoritarian restrictions.
But that is happening already and will only increase as powerful
weapons become available to smaller and smaller groups.

BillK