[ExI] post forward for tara maya

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 17 20:37:29 UTC 2012

Posted for Tara:

[Could you please pass this on to the extropy list for me? I still have my
messages bounced by my server when I try to post.]

Robo-cars will probably start coming with a lot of apps to entertain
passengers as they drive. This will probably happen in three ways:

1. They will integrate with existing tech, i.e. you stick your iPad in the
slot and watch it as a tv.

2. They will have their own integrated tech, i.e. a giant tv/computer
already in the car, chairs that massage you, sleep lighting, 360 degree
windows for sightseeing, etc.

3. They will make present day limo perks look tame. Food and alcohol will be
commonly available in robo-cars. Driving drunk will be popular again, since
there's no reason not to. Fridges may become standard features.

Kelly Anderson wrote:

I suspect autonomous vehicles will also
result in a very high measurable increase in productivity. Now all you
can do in your car is use your cell phone, which is only so
productive. In the future with autonomous vehicles, you should be able
to do reasonably passable video conferencing and computer sharing
(like gotomypc.com) and such that will be way more productive than the
uses we put our time in cars to now.

Yes, I think there would be a tremendous gain in productivity.

Right now you have millions of people spending hours per day doing nothing
but trying to get from one spot to another without killing anyone along the
way. It's tiring, it's stressful, it's a waste of time. On a train or a bus,
you can do some work while you ride, but you still have disadvantages. The
main one is that they don't pick you up from your house and drop you off at
your work, but don't forget the others. It might be too crowded to get out
your computer, or you might be afraid of thieves;  for women, especially,
there is the need to be vigilant about predators, which can make public
transportation just as stressful as driving (whenever people trumpet about
the supposed virtues of public over private transportation, I cannot help
but recall certain unpleasant experiences in this area); and if you forget
your stop, or leave behind your bag, you are screwed.

A robo-car would be like having your own private train, without any of those
disadvantages. You could have your workspace all ready for you, without fear
of being robbed, crowded, harassed or dropped at the wrong place. I think
many people will start their work day as soon as they sit in their robo-car.

But even the slackers and the students and the folks just on their way to
the mall or a movie will still contribute to the economy in their robo-car,
because they will probably be surfing the net, buying apps, playing games,
reading, watching movies, etc.

If robo-cars made it easier to drive a long way in a shorter period of time,
then longer commutes would be possible. Case in point: we would love to move
our family further from the city center in order to buy a house with an
actual yard. However, the commute to work already wastes two hours a day, an
hour each way. Furthermore, that time is completely wasted, since it must be
spent avoiding high-impact death, rather than, say, answering emails. Even
if a robo-car couldn't make the commute one minute faster, by freeing the
driver to do something else (like on a train), that would free up two work
hours. And if the robo-car system could reduce traffic and increase speeds
safely, then perhaps we could live twice as far away, in a nicer house, with
the same over all commute time, which is now also work time. Big win.

Robo-cars could also allow families to safely send kids to their various
lessons and games without doing all the "chauffeur" work themselves. I don't
know how many parent-hours are spent just driving, but it sure would be nice
to use that time otherwise. Even if you went with your kids to the soccer
game, you could sit and talk with them in the car rather than spend your
time swearing at other drivers.  ;)