[ExI] self driving cars

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 18 20:37:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM, spike wrote:
> It is now, ja.  May not be in the future.  I can imagine proles' time
> becoming very plentiful and cheap in comparison to energy costs.
>
> I think in most cases you would want to ride alone.  Read on.
>
> Ja and that was good thinking.  You can have pool cars, call-up, on-demand,
> with seats like what you see on a speedboat:  vinyl ov closed-cell foam, so
> the interiors of the cars can be hosed down (by robot) for cleaning.   You
> know some drunken prole is going to barf in there, and she is going to be
> copulating with her sweetheart.  We need to be able to wash the insides of
> these cars regularly, probably daily.

That's the problem with speculating about future technology.
The whole world changes, not just the tech under consideration.

By the time robot taxis are running around in widespread use, (10, 15 years?),
the whole commuting to work thing could well have disappeared.
In fact the 'death of work' might be well under way with huge numbers
of unemployed proles being supported on food stamps by the state.

The coffee house theory is quite fun. Worth reading about.
Think about it. Before coffee (and tea) arrived in England they used
to drink weak beer and wine with breakfast and spend the mornings in a
pleasant daze.
Lloyd's of London was founded in a coffee house.

BillK