[ExI] De-Orbiting Gold

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun May 20 03:08:57 UTC 2012

I believe the usual calculation assumes you launch a rocket into
space just to deorbit the gold, and that the rocket + fuel mass
many times the gold.  (Going by your numbers, 10 times
$10,000/pound > $23,217.59.)  And then there are engineering
costs, assuming you will take the standard model of essentially
custom-designing each rocket from scratch, with a full
development program and scale tests, for each individual rocket.

Things like reusable deorbiters - which slow down gold just
enough to send it into the atmosphere, then boost back up to
wait for the next chunk, and can use mass-efficient ion engines
or solar sails - are simply not considered.