[ExI] De-Orbiting Gold

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon May 21 00:40:29 UTC 2012

On 5/20/2012 4:44 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> On 20/05/2012 23:00, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> Who thinks my idea of orbiting money is ridiculous?
>
> Well, given the success of Rai stones even dropped into the lagoon as
> currency on Yap, orbiting money is probably not that bad.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yap#Stone_money
>
> However, the real problem is of course that all the value lies in the
> perception of value. Bitcoin is very volatile because it is a small
> currency. A currency better be either large or backed by some stable
> institution to remain stable.

All forms of money that are expensive are crap, from Gold, to coins, and
especially if it is up in space.  The only problem with money, is the
inability to control how much of it there is, in any given society.
Making it more expensive, or more rare, makes things far worse, and
likely to be more volatile.

Also, money needs to be VERY flexible.  the herd goes in waves, where
during boom times, everyone thinks they have far more wealth, than they
really have, so this drives things, in a compounding way, to be even
more bubbly.  And when the bubble pops, the herd swings way to the far
other extreme, thinking they are far more poor than they really are,
becoming a self fulfilling prophesy.  Being on a "gold standard" can
really work in the opposite way that it needs to, depending on how much
we find, and how much is being consumed, at any given time.

You desperately need to have a controlling institution, that can be very
flexible, and create money very cheaply, to fund governmental like
projects to help when this happens, and do the opposite when bubbles are
forming.

Right now, we have a reasonably good way of doing this, (at least better
than the gold standard, or any other more primitive method used in the
past) via the Federal reserve, under the direction of someone like
Bernanke.  In my opinion, Bernanke, and his flooding the system with
money, is what kept us from making the same mistake of the last
generation, and why today we only have "the great rescission" when the
last generation had "the great depression".

Now, if we could have something way more intelligent and trustworthy,
than Bernanke, perhaps an amplification of the wisdom of the expert
crowd survey system, like canonizer.com, we could implement a completely
free monetary system - with completely freely created money, enabling us
to get to the millennium that much faster.  And we wouldn't need  a
government or any other big institution to 'back it up'.

And as far as anything in space, like what is the maximum size of
something in space we could de-orbit, all of that is moot, and all of it
is dangerous.  Anything we put in orbit, money or whatever, could come
crashing down, and it's only a matter of time before yet another person
is doomed to eternally rotting in the grave, when they could potentially
make it to the millennium.

Again, instead of focusing on space, we should be focusing on the brain,
so we can have sooner have backups and uploads of everyone.  Then we can
de-orbat anything we want.  If we goof, we just restore everyone from
backups, no big deal.

Does anyone think Elon is ever going to go up in one of his rockets, and
risk a chance at making it to the millennium?  Would any similarly rich
trans-humanist ever risk that, especially the closer we get to the
millennium?

You've got to do first things first.  Everything else just condemns that
many more people to eternally rotting in the hell that is the grave, or
worse, complete obliteration in space.

Brent Allsop