[ExI] SpaceX capsule ISS flyby successful

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 19:49:42 UTC 2012

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:43 PM Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Dragon is due to spend just under a week berthed at the
> space station. On Thursday (May 31), the vehicle will be
> packed with completed science experiments and equipment
> ready to send back to Earth. The capsule is equipped with a
> heat shield to withstand its fiery re-entry through Earth's
> atmosphere, and is due to be recovered by a team of ships in
> the Pacific Ocean."
>
> If only it were packed with 500 kilograms of gold... LOL

Where
 would it come from? That would have meant spending more than the gold
is worth on the market to get it up to the ISS and back.

> Seriously, this is the first time I had heard that it wasn't a one
> way trip.

I'm surprised you didn't know as this was mentioned often in news reports on the mission.

> Future versions will be able to land the capsule on land...
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FpFZXWrvs
> Very cool, but unnecessarily complex for ore delivery... ;-)

Maybe so, but I don't think ore delivery was in any of the mission profiles. :)

Regards,

Dan