[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:09:32 UTC 2012

Yes, I think consciousness needs redefinition somehow.  I think the insane
force of my conscious perception is not really related to my intelligence
or the complexity of my thoughts but of a simpler, universal standard of
how energy and information are transmuted and encoded between various
systems.  The human brain is more conscious only in that it contains many
learned universal facts in it.  We acquire these by observing
cause-and-effect scenarios--physical and chemical reactions.  We are more
noticeably conscious because we have memories of these reactions.  I think
your pancreas is as conscious as the information it needs to process.  In
essence I am saying there is no seat of consciousness, only an emergent,
holographic pattern, called the "self" that the brain develops to cope with
the insane amount of data it receives, and that a pancreas has some
confusing pancreatic form of perception and no overarching data management
system, so it perceives selflessly as part of universal conscious force.

I think the self develops out of "oceanic consciousness" as a platform to
understand language and culture.