[ExI] Peak Oil -- Amory Lovins

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu May 31 09:54:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 03:08:42AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:56:07AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> >
> >> Honestly, from what he said, he did take them into account. He was
> >> talking about global peaks. We can disagree with him in our gut all we
> >> want, but he's got the real numbers... and I would hate to bet against
> >> him on this stuff.
> >
> > You're taking one guy, on his word, without knowing the details
> > which were not subjected to peer review? Really?
>
> Eugen, don't have a knee jerk reaction just because you don't like
> what he says. Nobody gets invited to TED once, let alone twice if they
> are not serious.

Found it, but only as audiobook http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7053884/

Notice that several of his assumptions are questionable: in that GDP
can be decoupled from underlying energy. GDP is a very poor, highly
gameable metric. It would be good to limit yourself to physical processes,
and do full accounting of embedded energy in material flows across
national compartments. Then you'll see that real production is really
limited by availability of cheap, plentiful energy.