[ExI] SpaceX launch succcessful

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 11:37:57 UTC 2012

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:43 AM Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is very exciting! I suppose we shall see if taking
>>> the libertarian approach to space will work out better
>>> than the previous endeavors...
>
>> This is not a "libertarian approach to space" transport. It is,
>> at best, a partly private approach to supporting a basically
>> non-libertarian approach to space exploration. NASA isn't
>> ponying up money it got justly to pay for a ride on SpaceX
>> rockets. Instead, it relies on involuntary contributions from
>> viewers like you. :/
>
> http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/30/spacex-signs-contract-to-launch-worlds-most-powerful-rocket/?intcmp=trending
>
> Well, Dan, that didn't take long, did it? LOL  Is this a little
> more libertarian/free enterprise for ya?

I'm sure that was in the works for a while. It might have been contingent on the ISS docking going well.

But this doesn't alter my earlier position: the NASA contract is not an example of a "libertarian approach to space" transport. It's just an example of the government contracting out. A libertarian approach to anything would mean precisely one where no individual negative property rights were violated. Anything involving a government, which receives funding involuntary and otherwise uses force to get stuff, is not libertarian.

Regards,

Dan