[ExI] pets, mirrors and cryonics

Charlie Stross charlie.stross at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 22:16:38 UTC 2012

On 3 Nov 2012, at 22:08, MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:

> I've never moved a mirror for a cat or dog, and don't
> recall any of our dogs/puppies having a reaction. The cats
> (as kittens) almost always did, and it was a fun thing to
> watch as they all fluffed up and stood on tiptoe and
> pranced about. But that reaction didn't continue long,
> they soon became accustomed and just ignored the mirror. I
> don't recall any adult cat having a reaction.

Not sure about mirrors, but I've noticed a profound variation between individual cats in their response to other stimuli. Some ignore the laser pointer's red dot. Others chase it. And one in particular would make eye contact with me, point themselves at the laser pointer, make eye contact again, and meow until I made the red dot appear for her. She'd clearly worked out where it was coming from, and why.

(I once recorded her vocalizations using a PDA and played them back to her; she got *really* alarmed. Other cats didn't respond to the same test the same way. Alas, she died a decade ago.)

-- Charlie