[ExI] Life @ Playstation

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 4 12:34:09 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org]
[]
Subject: Re: [ExI] Life @ Playstation

On 4 November 2012 04:07, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
> My very wild guess, PS3 is no longer significant for this kind of task.

}\\\Mmhhh.

>...It would appear that as of yesterday 172244 Windows CPUs deliver 179
Teraflops to the project, 16557 PS3s deliver 985 x86-equivalent Teraflops,
which makes for a couple of orders of magnitude greater performance for
PS3mm,... where possible contributors feel more righteous in, and expect to
save some money by, switching off their processors rather than paying the
equivalent of a coffee a week to contribute their processor cycles for a
better future, or at least for a better understanding of fundamental
biochemistry.

--
Stefano Vaj

Hi Stefano thanks for the info, sir.  Is there any kind of status report or
anything that can be shown for what Folding has accomplished?  It gobbled up
a lotta CPU cycles, and many of us here contributed some, so it stands to
reason there should exist somewhere some kind of progress report, ja?

Note that the question is not meant as a commentary or certainly not a
criticism   I mean this from the bottom of my heart: Folding has been my
third favorite idle-CPU project, and I am a big fan of those.  Even if the
theory is flawed and we didn't get anything, we demonstrated that idle CPU
cycles can be used for research, so don't feel you need to defend what has
been done.  SETI at home didn't find anything either.  Or look at it this way:
the human genome project didn't do what we thought it would do.  That's why
they call it research: we don't know what is going to happen.

Compute on, my friends!