[ExI] Life @ Playstation

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 22:45:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM, James Clement wrote:
> Social Darwinism is an excuse to be sociopathic, IMHO
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Darwinism). None of the super-geniuses
> I know are truly motivated to "compete" in society. Most are too caught up
> in their own thoughts (some might say in an autistic manner) to care about
> what society thinks of them. That's not so say they're social misfits (any
> more than normal people), just that they seem uninterested in proving
> anything to anyone. The people who have been motivated towards power whom
> I've known have all been of lesser talent and abilities, with something to
> prove, vis-a-vis other people.

When I was in Mensa, we used to joke about the really high IQs being
the ones who had men in white coats to take them home from meetings.
The idea of the mad genius living in his own world, detached from
reality is very common. I saw many clever people in Mensa whose life
was a complete shambles due to their eccentric behaviour. From the
point of view of having a successful career I think that being *too*
clever can often be a disadvantage.

BillK