[ExI] Gifted children

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:37:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> That said...the article says that "over 80000" children are
> tested each year.  There are 76.1 million children ages
> 0-17 in the US in 2012, according to
> http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables.asp
> .  Even cutting down to 5% of that is still about 3.8 million;
> if, say, only the 10 year olds out of that were tested (so
> as to test each child exactly once - but as you note, any
> child of interest would be tested multiple times), that's still
> about 200,000 children.  The numbers just don't seem to
> add up to tracking *all* children, like you say.

Reread the article:  It only covers JHU-CTY, which only covers 20
states and DC.  There are 3 other universities involved, with their
own cadre of kids.  I have no idea what their numbers are.  You can
look it up if you're that interested.  And you may be right that some
private schools don't participate.  However, my son attended with many
private school kids.

PJ