[ExI] Insulin pump (artificial pancreas)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 18:09:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Brent Allsop wrote:
> What troubles me, is why is medical technology even worse?  For example, I
> have an insulin pump (artificial pancreas) because I’m a type 1 diabetic.
> Since this technology is far more than 10 years old, it is basically killing
> me, compared to what it could be.  Instead of having an android app, that
> displays the information on my nice new 720P resolution color smart phone,
> it attempts to display it on a 64 x 128 pixel black and white LCD display,
> that is basically technology from the 80s.  And this is only one of a
> gazillion things that are killing me, compared to what it could be.
>
> The other thing is, the crude monitoring system isn’t connected to the
> insulin delivery system – i.e. no automated control.  So I have to do
> everything myself – including making mistakes – that could kill me.  The
> manufactures of the device could clearly lesson this risk, but of course,
> such would expose them to risk of being sued – so they completely avoid
> anything like that.  So, their basically happy to let me make mistakes and
> destroy my life, as long as they aren’t providing anything that would expose
> them to any risk.

What you are requesting is a full Artificial Pancreas. This is a
worldwide project and trials are now underway. You should be able to
get one within a few years.
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_pancreas>

In the meantime, it sounds as though you should be able to get a more
up-to-date insulin pump.
JDRF says, Quote:
The latest-model pumps have built-in dosage calculators that manage
the complex diabetes math that you previously had to do yourself. This
feature will enable you to program different basal insulin delivery
rates for different times of the day, depending on changing needs. You
can reduce the basal rate before exercise or change the rate at night
to help prevent overnight lows.

These pumps can calculate how much insulin is still working from the
previous bolus dose. Some manufacturers include such additional smart
features as programmable reminders and alerts, information download
capabilities that allow you to save information to a computer to keep
a record, a carbohydrate database (containing carbohydrate amounts for
many foods to eliminate guesswork), variety in styles of infusion
sets, and child lockout features.

To learn more about what pumps can do, check out the websites of pump
manufacturers:
LINKS:
    http://www.animascorp.com/
    http://www.delteccozmo.com/