[ExI] Why space tech isn't cutting edge

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:06:24 UTC 2012

Did actually people do tests with modern chips in space? Or just one earth
using very high energy sources?
None of the astronauts bring with them their ipads?
Or is it that the use of the 486 is based on making sure the vital system
are overbuild for safety?

When we sent payloads with my students to the stratosphere using balloons,
we found out quickly that is not a good idea to send hard drives with disks
that use air as cuscion (for obvious reasons) that were not obvious to us
when we tried the first time.

But we had no problems with solid state drives. But we were in the
stratosphere with still some protection from the atmosphere. How powerful
of a cosmic ray you need to get before failure? Is it permanent? What is
the probability of failure?

Giovanni