[ExI] Why space tech isn't cutting edge

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:47:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> So we get this shower of secondary particles that hit the microprocessor,
> and we know by Maxwell's equations an incoming charged particle creates an
> EM field which in some rare cases can flip a bit

So, the problem with the secondaries is mainly that they are
charged?

Lead or tungsten around magnetic fields.

First layer: a dense material to make as certain as practical that no
cosmic rays will penetrate, but will instead create secondaries for
the second layer to deal with.  If possible, multiple layers of crystal
instead of one single crystal to maximize coverage, and minimize
gaps in the molecular structure that rays can get through.

Second layer: multiple layers of magnets, again arranged in layers
to minimize straight paths through.  Make these magnets strong
enough to suck up or deflect charged secondary particles.  You
don't have to stop them, just steer them away from the CPU inside.

What problems do you see with this?