[ExI] Bad news for US customers of Intrade

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:59:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Hmmm, I don't understand why gold is a regulated market, and even if so, why
> it hurts anything to speculate on its future price through InTrade.

Gold speculation is a matter of international commerce, and therefore
definitely "interstate commerce".  It's regulated to prevent the worst of
the swindlers and hucksters from profiting at the expense of others.

The specific regulation - Dodd-Frank - was also intended to curb the
effect of speculation on commodity prices, for instance after oil
speculators kept getting $billions by such market manipulation,
which costs were largely passed on by oil companies in the form of,
e.g., higher gas prices.