[ExI] deep space again, was: RE: riots again

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 1 05:25:04 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of PJ Manney

>...So why does Extropy Chat continue to have these fights?...

I don't know, but your local friendly moderator fondly hopes it settles down
forthwith.  During a flame war, I am compelled to read every word, oy vey.

>... give each other something to work with.  Like the latest research in
anything Extropian.  Or flights of "what if" fancy, like the old days.  Or
robots!  Everyone loves robots...  ;-P <that is sarcasm, but I do love
robots>...PJ

Regarding that deep space photo I posted a few days ago, I set that as my
background on my computer.  Every time I close all my windows, I am suddenly
staring at that awe-inspiring mind-boggling deep space photo, and I keep
coming around to my firm conviction, there is just no way we are the only
intelligence in this big old place.  Every blip and smudge of light on that
picture is an unimaginably huge island of stars.  I just can't figure out
why they aren't talking to us.  The notion of setting that photo as a
background on your computer tends to alter one's attitude a bit.

Here's the photo:

http://www.space.com/17755-farthest-universe-view-hubble-space-telescope.htm

Gaze into that photo for half an hour, then ponder what it means.  Then ask
ourselves how critically important it is that we share our political views
please.