[ExI] Apocalypse Codex

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Oct 1 23:21:53 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 23:48, spike wrote:
>> ...Incidentally, while I am in fanboy mode, I should report that it was the paragraph on Brains' security clearance in The Atrocity Archives that gave
>> me a proper rationale to come out of the closet. It made complete sense. --
>> Anders Sandberg,
>>

>> Intriguing, inquiring minds want to know.  Charlie would you be opposed to
>> quoting that paragraph?

I think this is fair use (journalism? history? security science?):

> ",,,Once a year Pinky drags Brains out to Pride so he can maintain his
> security clearance."
>
> "I see." She relaxes a little but looks puzzled. "I thought the secret
> services sacked you for being homosexual?"
>
> "They used to, said it made you a security risk. Which was silly,
> because it was the practice of firing homosexuals that made them
> vulnerable to blackmail in the first place. So these days they just
> insist on openness - the theory is you can only be blackmailed if
> you're hiding something. Which is why the Brain gets the day off for
> Gay Pride to maintain his security clearance."

I like that security through openness approach. The less you really try
to hide, the less blackmail or embarassment potential. This is also why
I outed myself as an enhancer user in the Times.

Of course, not having any secrets at all is also deeply suspicious.
Hence my full disk encryption and occasional evasive maneouvers against
surveillance. I have hence made sure I have a suitable stock of
embarassents. Hakosote included.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute