[ExI] The robot bees are coming

Tomaz Kristan protokol2020 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:13:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Kryonica <kryonica at gmail.com> wrote:

> I regularly have nightmares about insects and am enthusiastic about the
> idea that artificial creatures can be used one day to pollinate fields.  It
> has been one of my lifelong dreams that insects might one day be replaced
> by robots to do their job.  Sure, an alternative food source for birds -
> that I do like - must be found, but a world without cockroaches,
> mosquitoes, flies and wasps is one aspect of technoprogressive Eden.  Last
> night I had a nightmare about a parasitic worm.  It was big and vile.
>  Hopefully such creatures will know the fate of the smallpox virus and one
> day exist only as DNA in some remote laboratory.  Or as virtual monsters in
> MMORPG that one can easily kill with some magic weapon or spell.
>
> I know that Anders, who has a keen interest in insects and a nice
> collection of beetles, will disagree.
>
> On 1 Oct 2012, at 22:44, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
> Nicely complements the Harvard RoboBee project, which is more on the
> robotics side: http://robobees.seas.harvard.edu/

It is difficult and deep question, what species are to be wiped out. Some
would argue that none of them. But when I've asked one of those, what to do
with a parasitic worm which lives in people's eyes and drives them blind,
he said something I didn't understand. Some rubbish how we shouldn't play
the almighty.

What would you do with the African wild dogs, which eat an antelope alive?

I think, the whole biology needs a deep reconstruction. Very, very deep.