[ExI] riots again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:22:03 UTC 2012

On 4 October 2012 18:43, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. The government in Afghanistan has been brutal and corrupt since....
> since forever, nobody thought that was going to change anytime soon, but in
> the immediate aftermath of 911 many, including me, thought that replacing a
> brutal and corrupt administration that was openly protecting Osama bin
> Laden with a brutal and corrupt administration that was not was a noble
> thing to do. And it is just untenable to expect the USA to allow Osama bin
> Laden and the Taliban to thumb his nose at them indefinitely.

Understandable? Justifiable? Even useful, perhaps? But what is exactly
"noble" in acting for one's own best interest and protection or in seeking
revenge for torts? Any ordinary thug or... banker does just the same. And I
assume you would not consider muslims as "noble" for doing just the same.
Doing their job, at best... .-)

As a libertarian and a Extropian I have nothing against the drug trade.

I am a staunch anti-prohibitionist myself, but this does not mean that I
like much the players in the current criminalised market... I am pro-choice
as well, but those engaged in the black market of abortion were quite
despicable, for instance. Ditto for Al Capone and his friends with alcohol.

--
Stefano Vaj