[ExI] The Dementia Plague

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:08:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Stefano Vaj  wrote:
> Brain plasticity is luckily high, and I assume that a cryonic patient would
> be happy enough to be restored in its last awaken state. Then, he would have
> all the opportunities to seek brain enhancement therapies, if they exist at
> all...

Well, sort of, in an ideal world......
I think everyone would like to be revived as their 30-35ish aged
version, at the height of their powers, leader of the pack, etc.
A few younger patients may have encountered an early terminal illness
with brain function unharmed.
But in practice, cryonics patients are likely to be in a very
different condition. People tend to to be in poor condition when they
die. (British understatement!)  Most will be aged, with deteriorating
brain functions. Some will have suffered strokes, with brain damage.

I don't think I would like to be revived as a confused 80 year old in
a totally unfamiliar world. That's why I suggested that the revival AI
would probably do a bit of repair work during the rebuilding process.
Repairing calculation functions should be OK. It is tinkering with the
memories that is problematic. How much 'repair' means that a different
personality is created? Are there memories that would be better lost
for ever? Should you be revived as a 'better' person?

BillK