[ExI] Consequentialist world improvement

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Oct 9 23:53:15 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] Consequentialist world improvement

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>... That would be so cool.  Have we any code gurus here who could suggest
> some means of collecting one's entire outbox contents, which I have
> been working on in a sense for well over 20 yrs now, and creating some
> kind of enormous lookup table?

>...You mean spike isn't already a giant lookup table?  hmm... I didn't
think to comment on it.  :p

>...Are we going to dust off this identity debate and see if anything new
scurries out from under it?

Noooooo, please, no!

This discussion reminds me vaguely of when Tom Brokaw wanted to vacation all
summer but didn't want the viewers to know he was absent, nor did he want to
risk Dan Rather scooping him.  So he put together a pre-recorded collection
of all possible news stories:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/7695/

When Geherald Fuhord really did pass away, this skit was the only thing I
could think of.

Additional note: this sketch was done in 1996, right when I was getting into
internet surfing, which for me replaced television so completely, I don't
even get TV reception anymore.  The Dana Carvey Show was right at the tail
end of my TV experience.

Regarding collecting enough material to make a convincing reply-bot, the
success of that effort would likely be a function of how much material could
be collected and how imaginative was the person on whom the table is based.
I do get the feeling that it has only been fairly recently that home
computers have had the memory capacity to do this trick.