[ExI] Simulation argument again (was Re: Computronium planet.)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Oct 13 15:07:34 UTC 2012

My problem with the QCD paper is that it assumes the Simulators use a
particular cubical grid (they admit this is a weakness, the paper is not
stupid by any means). The QCD guys look at systems were you calculate
every point in the volume, rather than the very anisotropic distribution
of stuff we have on larger scales. A galaxy simulation has most galaxies
and matter in clumps in a small subset of the full space, and molecular
simulations obviously has discrete molecule conglomerates.

One interesting thing I would love to see is what an octree or multipole
code would produce in terms of anisotropies as seen from the "inside".
Any numerical analysis hotshot who knows?

This of course relates to Moravec's caution way back in "Mind Children"
that the universe could be running like HashLife: the mapping from our
spacetime to the Real system implementing it could be very nontrivial.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute