[ExI] RES: age of mockery

Charlie Stross charlie.stross at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:09:38 UTC 2012

On 17 Oct 2012, at 16:14, "Henrique Moraes Machado" <cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com> wrote:

> <Charlie Stross>
> Get back to me when you've sorted out the right of
> paedophiles to publish child pornography, if you want to assert that you've
> got free
> speech. Some types of speech are free-er than others, is all.
> </Charlie Stross>
>
> If one defends the right to publish child pornography that would be free
> speech. Publishing child pornography would not, since any form of child
> pornography is a crime.
> This was not a good example.

On the contrary; the criminalization of child pornography is a *perfect* example of why we don't actually have free speech in the west.

(A case can be made that photographs of child abuse are evidence of a crime being committed. But what about cartoons, or textual descriptions? One of which is explicitly, and the other of which is implicitly, illegal in the UK?)

-- Charlie