[ExI] age of mockery

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Oct 19 17:55:41 UTC 2012

On 19/10/2012 07:39, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> It is true, however, that the lack of a "formal" constitution, meaning
> a statute regulating the fundamental working of the pertinent legal
> system, adopted with special emphasis and changeable only with more
> formalities than ordinary legislation, makes England singularly prone
> to whim-of-the-day change to what used to be considered as
> "fundamental rights".

In theory. In practice, like everything in the glorious mess that is
England, change is slow. The reason things don't break is that tradition
is paramount: precendent, habit and interwoven institutions make it very
hard to implement those whims. Sure, government can easily pass laws...
but to actually change something is a bit like boxing with a pillow. You
have to maintain pressure consistently for a long while to get the
change to percolate through the system.

In specific, narrow questions Britain can go very far. But they better
be something few are involved in or care about.

> Take for instance the "right to remain silent", equivalent to the US
> Fifth Amendment and enshrined in some continental constitutions. A
> prosecution-friendly majority does not like it, wham, it's gone.

Did that ever exist here? I can't recall seeing anything like it.

Most famously the UK doesn't accept that people refuse to give out keys
to encrypted information, which in theory can lead to some nasty stuff.
That gigabyte of astronomical data *might* be a steganographic volume
after all, despite my protestations. But again, just like the law
prohibiting having information of use to terrorists, the application and
enforcement is totally arbitrary (and very rare). The real problem is of
course that common law + overbroad laws + spotty enforcement = rule of
men, not laws = bad. Except that it is always local and spotty. Very
British, in short.

The UK could be a nasty police state if it got its act together. This is
why I actually like the traditionalism and incompetence...

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute